Download PDF of Curriculum Vitæ of Shekhar Krishnan (January 2015)
Employment & Consulting
- New York Public Library (NYPL), New York City, U.S.A.
Project Consultant, Maps Division and NYPL Labs, June 2008 to Present
- Economic & Political Weekly (EPW), Mumbai, India
Editorial Consultant, January to July 2014
- Library of Congress, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Consultant, Office of Strategic Initiatives, 2009-2011, 2012-2013, January to May 2014
Fellowships & Grants
- Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow, December 2014 to Present
- Human Economy Programme, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Associate Member, August 2014 to Present
- American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS), New Delhi, India & Chicago, U.S.A.
Junior Research Fellowship, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai, 2010-11
- Center for History and New Media (CHNM), George Mason University, U.S.A.
Zotero Project Evangelist, Mozilla Foundation Fellowship, 2007-8
- Columbia University, New York City, U.S.A.
Exchange Scholar, Department of Middle East, South Asian & African Studies (MESAAS), 2006-7
- National Endowment for Humanities (NEH), Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Digital Humanities Startup Grant, NYPL New York City Chronology of Places, 2012-13
- Harvard University Center for Geographic Analysis (CGA), U.S.A.
Advisory Board Member, Harvard WorldMap Project, January 2013 to Present
- Vodafone Digital Empowerment Foundation, New Delhi, India
mBillionth Award South Asia Finalist via Free Software Foundation of India, 2012
- Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS), Bangalore, India
Sankranti Transform Urban India First Prize Award & Startup Grant, 2011-12
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Bangkok, Thailand
“Mumbai Freemap Community GIS” Asia-Pacific ICT Research & Development Grant, 2005-7
- India Foundation for the Arts (IFA), Bangalore, India
“Mumbai Industrial Museum” Arts Collaboration Seed Grant, 2004-5
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Teaching Assistant, Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL), 2007 to 2008
Teaching Assistant, Department of History, 2008 to 2009
- Kamala Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute of Architecture (KRVIA)
Visiting Faculty in Urban History & Sociology, January 2004 to July 2005
- Srishti School of Art, Design & Technology
Research Consultant, New Media, August 2003 to August 2005
- Academy of Architecture, Rachana Sansad
Joint Convenor, Mumbai Study Group, September 2000 to July 2002
Activism & Urbanism
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
PhD in History and Anthropology of Science & Technology, 2005-2013
PhD Dissertation “Empire’s Metropolis: Money, Time & Space in Colonial Bombay, 1870-1930”
MIT Presidential Fellowship, 2005-6; Eli and Dorothy Berman Institute Fellow, 2006-7
- School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS), University of London, U.K.
M.A. in South Asian Studies and Politics, 1998-1999
M.A. Thesis (with Distinction) “The Analytics of Caste Power in Modern India”
Major in South Asian Politics, Minors in History of Science and Social Anthropology
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
B.S.F.S. (Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service) with Honors, 1993-1997
Certificate in Asian Studies, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, U.P, 1995-96
Honors Thesis in Culture & Politics “Critical Possibilities in Subaltern Studies”, 1997